A Great Granola Mix From The Adirondacks
I always thought granola was fattening. I went through the era of all fat is bad for you and fat free is the way to be skinny, right?
Our bodies need fat, healthy fat. I started making granola just recently. I have found this base mix perfect to use as a launching pad to many mixes of enjoyable crunchy goodness. I will make up a batch of this basic mix and as the seasons pass find new things to mix in. We are in autumn as I am writing this so with my next batch I will find all the fall flavors that everyone loves to add to them.
Here is the recipe for the simple base mix. It can be great all by itself or you can shake it up with other ingredients added in.
- 3 cups rolled oats (find a good organic source)
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 1 cup sliced raw almonds
- 1 cup chopped raw pecans
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients, oats, coconut, almonds, pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- In a smaller bowl combine the oil, maple syrup and salt mixing completely. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread evenly on a large baking sheet. Bake for one hour, stir the mixture around about every 15 minutes.
- When done transfer to a large bowl and mix in raisins and any other ingredients you may have come up with!
Makes about 24 servings.
Here are some other ingredients you may want to throw into the mix. I like dividing up the mix and having a couple different types of snacks from this batch. When I add these I either cut out the raisins or 1/2 them and add 1/2 cup of the alternate ingredient.
- M & M’s
- Mini Chocolate chips
- Candy Corn
- White Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Dried Dates
- Chopped Dried Figs
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Chia Seeds
- Hemp Hearts
I like being a granola girl now and making my own means I know what is going into it.I know that it’s fresh and I find it satisfying both for my body and soul.
Please enjoy this and please send me some ingredient ideas too!