https://i2.wp.com/happyhealthylivingllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/eggplant.jpg?fit=600%2C315 315 600 Ginger Durett http://happyhealthylivingllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/HHL-logo-2017-300x300.jpg Ginger Durett2015-01-03 07:46:232016-12-05 22:03:15Thai Eggplant Salad
Thai Eggplant Salad
Author: Ginger Durett
Recipe type: Appetizer
Serves: 10 servings
Thai food has exciting flavors, is easy to prepare and is almost always low in calories. This dish for example has only 33 calories per serving, it's low in fat and it encourages you and your family and friends to enjoy good health!
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- ½ to 1 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice or about 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice or about 2 limes
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon peel
- ½ teaspoon grated lime peel
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Peel eggplants; cut into 2 x3/4 x ¾ inch strips. Steam them in vegetable steamer over boiling water 7-10 minutes or until tender. Let cool to room temperature.
- Place shallots ,garlic,cilantro and red pepper flakes on a cutting board. Mince, then mash to a paste with side of a chef's knife. Releasing the oils of these ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooled eggplant strips , shallot mixture , fish sauce , lemon juice, lime juice , lemon peel and lime peel. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes to allow the blending of the flavors. Transfer to a serving dish and serve at room temperature.