Red Potato Cabbage Recipe
This red potato cabbage recipe is a great wholesome recipe. It does take a little work as it is a combination casserole, great mashed potatoes and sautéed cabbage. This recipe makes the most amazing left overs too so it is totally worth the effort.
I found it easier to make this like two separate dishes while preparing it. I followed the original recipe I found on Food.com but the directions were a bit over whelming to me and I did change a few things because I didn’t have them on hand. This is a great change up to plain ole mashed potatoes for the holiday dinners too! First gather your ingredients.
- 3 slices bacon, thick, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, organic, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, french, finely chopped
- 1 small green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, coarsely grated (I used a Bartlett pair)
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup apple cider (I used white wine)
- 1½ teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 large potatoes, quartered, unpeeled (I used 8 med/small red potatoes)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- ⅛ cup half-and-half
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ⅛ cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Boil potatoes in salted water till fork tender , 14-16 minutes. Drain and place in bowl, mash adding the half & half, butter and lastly the beaten egg. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan cook the bacon till crispy reserving the drippings, crumble it and put it in the potatoes.
- Sauté the onion, shallot, garlic, apple(or pear) and cabbage in the bacon drippings. 20 minutes .
- While the cabbage is sautéing mix apple cider vinegar,brown sugar, apple cider, and chicken stock together in a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400, grease pan
- Turn the heat up on the cabbage and add in the liquid stock cook 10 minutes stirring frequently until most of the liquid is gone.
- Toss the mashed potatoes, cabbage and parsley together mixing well. Add salt, pepper and red pepper to taste. Place in greased pan bake 20 minutes and enjoy !
Using substitute ingredients to make it lighter and healthier dish can very easily be done. Substitutes can include:
- Butter = Olive Oil
- Half & half = coconut milk cream or a non dairy milk
- Omit bacon or use tofu or turkey bacon
- Brown Sugar = honey or agave
Let us know if you like our Red Potato Cabbage Recipe in the comments below or follow us on Facebook.