Pasta Isn’t Raw
I recently prepared a raw fettuccine pasta dish. I know, pasta must be cooked you say, well this isn’t traditional pasta. This is zucchini squash sliced into ribbons that we are calling raw pasta.
I love my pasta and it is not something that I am completely giving up. One of the things that I like about pasta however, is the feel and the look of it, long noodles and creamy sauce. This raw food dish gives me that look and feel. No, it’s not warm, it’s more like a salad but this recipe is delicious.
I got this recipe from the free e-book buy the raw chef Russell James.
We had to go buy a new kitchen appliance for this one as we are not hard core raw foodies yet. The piece of equipment that we bought was a spiral slicer. The first one was not good, you get what you pay for is most often the case, but the trade up works great!
This is the spiral slicer that we purchased.
What You Need
Here are the few items that you need to make this simple recipe.
- Spiral slicer or mandoline slicer.
- A good knife.
- A bowl
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper
- ¼ small red onion or shallot
- ½ cup cashews (soak for 20 minutes)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 green onions
- 2 tsp fresh tarragon
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- Create the raw noodles - First slice the zucchini into strips with a mandoline slicer with a large julienne attachment or do spiral slices like we did. You can also make into ribbons with a good quality peeler. Cut the red pepper and red onion into thin strips. Place the zucchini onion and pepper into a bowl and set aside
- Make the cream sauce - Blend the cashews, water, olive oil, green onions, tarragon, lemon juice and salt in a blender until smooth.
- Mix it up - Add half of the cream sauce to the noodle mixture and mix it through the noodles. You can use the other half as a salad dressing or dip. Stores in the fridge for up to 3 days.
We used half a red pepper as the whole pepper was too much for our taste.
This is a simple raw food recipe that we will make again for our personal raw food diet. We would love to hear your comments and suggestions about this recipe or anything else that contributes to your happy healthy living.