What is Peppermint Essential Oil Good For
Here are some ways to use peppermint essential oils.
Digestion — Rub 4-6 drops in the palm and rub over stomach and around the navel to relieve indigestion, flatulence and diarrhea. Add a drop of Peppermint oil to herbal tea to aid in digestion and relieve heartburn. Fever – Place a drop of peppermint on the back of your neck and a few drops on the bottom of each foot and then breathe in the remaining oil on your hands. Injury – Massage several drops of Peppermint oil on the area of injury to reduce inflammation. Apply Peppermint oil immediately to an injured area (bruised shin, hit on the foot or hand) to relieve pain. If there is a cut, apply the Peppermint oil around (not on) the open wound. Headache – To relieve a headache rub a drop of Peppermint oil on the temples, forehead, over the sinuses (stay away from the eyes) and on the back of the neck.
Peppermint Essential Oil Information From Young Living
BOTANICAL FAMILY: Lamiaceae or Labiatae (mint). PLANT ORIGIN: North America.
EXTRACTION METHOD: Steam distilled from leaves, stems, and flower buds.
CHEMICAL CONSTITUENTS: Monoterpenes: Alpha-pinene, limonene: Monoterpenols: menthol (38-48%); Monoterpenones: menthone (20-30%); Terpene oxides: 1,8 cineol; Terpene esters: menthol acetate; Coumarins, Sulfurs: dimenthalsulfide.
ACTION: Anticarcinogenic, supports digestion, expels worms, decongestant, antiinfectious, antibacterial, antifungal, mucolytic, stimulant, hypertensive, cardio tonic, stimulates gallbladder, pain-relieving, expectorant, and anti-inflammatory for the intestinal and urinary tract. It can heighten or restore the sense of taste by stimulating the trigeminal nerve.
FOUND IN: Aroma Siez, Clarity, Di-Gize, Legacy, M-Grain, Mister, PanAway, Raven, RC, Relieve-It, Cinnamint Lip Balm, Dentarome Plus Toothpaste, Fresh Essence Mouthwash, Satin Scrub-Mint, NeuroGen, Regenolone, Satin Body Lotion, Morning Start Bath Gel, Peppermint-Cedarwood Soap, Morning Start Soap, Ortho Ease Massage Oil, Ortho Sport Massage Oil, Relaxation Massage Oil, ComforTone, Mineral Essence, Pro-Gen, ProMist, ThermaMist, and Thyromin.
TRADITIONAL USES: Peppermint is one of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs for soothing digestion. Jean Valnet, M.D., studied peppermint’s effect on the liver and respiratory systems. Other scientists have also researched peppermint’s role in affecting impaired taste and smell when inhaled. Dr. William N. Dember of the University of Cincinnati studied peppermint’s ability to improve concentration and mental accuracy. Alan Hirsch, M.D., studied peppermint’s ability to directly affect the brain’s satiety center (the ventromedial nucleus of the hypothalamus) which triggers a sensation of fullness after meals.
INDICATIONS: Asthma, bronchitis, candida, diarrhea, digestive aid, reduces fever, halitosis, heartburn, hemorrhoids, hot flashes, indigestion, menstrual irregularity, headaches, motion sickness, nausea, tumor growth, respiratory infections, shock, itchy skin, throat infections, and varicose veins. Other Uses: This oil may help arthritis, indigestion, depression, skin conditions (eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis), food poisoning, headaches, hives, hysteria, inflammation, morning sickness, nerve regeneration, rheumatism, elevate and open sensory system, toothaches, and tuberculosis.
APPLICATIONS: Diffuse. Massage on the stomach or add to water or tea. Apply to bottom of feet or rub on the temples to treat headaches. To improve concentration, alertness, and memory, place several drops on the tongue. Add to food as a flavoring and preservative.
FRAGRANT INFLUENCE: It is purifying and stimulating to the conscious mind.
SAFETY DATA: If currently under a doctor’s care or pregnant, consult physician prior to use. Avoid contact with eyes, mucus membranes, or sensitive skin areas. Do not apply neat to a fresh wound or burn.
Here is a great list of more applications for peppermint essential oil.
- Apply a drop of Peppermint oil topically on unbroken skin to stop itching.
- For poison ivy or poison oak, apply Peppermint oil on location neat or dilute with V-6 Vegetable Mixing Oil.
- Inhale Peppermint oil before and during a workout to boost your mood and reduce fatigue.
- Massage several drops of Peppermint oil on the abdomen to relieve nausea.
- To stop hiccups, apply a drop of Peppermint oil on each side of the fifth cervical vertebra (up three notches from the large vertebra at the base of the neck).
- Place two drops of Peppermint oil on the tongue and rub another drop under the nose to improve alertness and concentration.
- Diffuse Peppermint oil in the room while studying to improve concentration and accuracy. Inhale Peppermint oil while taking a test to improve recall.
- Rub 4 drops of Peppermint oil on chest and stomach to relieve travel sickness.
- Place a drop of Peppermint oil on the tongue and inhale into the nose and sinuses to relieve congestion from a cold.
- Add Peppermint oil to food as a flavoring and a preservative.
- To deter rats, mice, ants or cockroaches, place two drops of Peppermint oil on a cotton ball and place along the path or point of entry for these pests.
- Mix one 15-ml. bottle of Peppermint oil into a 5 gallon can of paint to dispel the fumes.
- Place a couple of drops of Peppermint oil in a cup of hot water and enjoy in place of coffee.
- To kill aphids add 4-5 drops of Peppermint oil to 4 ounces of water and spray the plants.
- Drink a drop of Peppermint oil mixed in a glass of cold water to cool off on a hot day.
- Rub Peppermint oil on joints to relieve arthritis or tendonitis pain.
- Place a drop of Peppermint oil on the tongue to stop bad breath.
- Inhale the fragrance of Peppermint oil to curb the appetite and lessen the impulse to overeat.
- Remove ticks by applying a drop of Peppermint oil on a cotton swab and swabbing the tick. Wait for it to unhedge its head and remove from your pet.
- Mix Peppermint oil in a foot bath to relieve sore feet. Keep water agitated while soaking feet.
As you can see from the list above, peppermint oil has a lot of great uses. One of the things to be aware of is the quality of the oils that you use. I use Young Living Essential Oils because I know that the company produces all of its oils and has amazing quality control. These oils are 100% pure oils with no filler like some other companies.This is very important as I don’t want to ingest perfume grade or synthetic oils.