Marinated Mushroom Recipe
I love mushrooms…
But I thought I didn’t love raw mushrooms. I wouldn’t even add them to salads raw. The texture and the taste didn’t do anything for me. Since I have been trying to incorporate more raw foods into my diet I thought I would give raw mushrooms a try. Hence our marinated mushroom recipe.
I knew eating them plain wasn’t going to do it for me. Marinating them was my best option. I found a few recipes and pulled them together to make them my own happy healthy raw mushrooms. The marinated mushroom recipe below can be made your own too if you have favorite spices you like to add.
These are on the Italian spicy side, simple spice changes can make them Oriental, Thia, Mexican.. well you know what you like.
This is so simple you will think,” that’s it? ” Just don’t leave out the 30 minute salt toss it’s a step that really makes them robust and fulfilling.
- About 10 regular mushrooms
- 1 TBSP sea salt
- For the marinade:
- 10 TBSP good olive oil
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 TBSP lemon zest
- Pinch sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- A handful of fresh basil roughly chopped, if you have fresh oregano add that too!
- Optional: a pinch of red pepper
- Wash, scrub and drain the mushrooms. Pat them dry with a towel.
- Place them in a colander atop a big bowl and sprinkle 1 TBSP sea salt. Toss to cover them all in the salt and leave them for about 30 minutes at room temp.
- Rinse the mushrooms well to get rid of the extra salt and gently squeeze out as much of the water as you can without making a mash out of your mushrooms. Pat them dry with a towel.
- In a bowl mix the ingredients for the marinade I do this while they are sitting in the salt. – Olive oil, vinegar, garlic, lemon zest, spices. Add the mushrooms and toss to cover them in the marinade.
- Cover the bowl and put the mushrooms in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Enjoy chilled with your favorite raw crackers or wholegrain toasted bread. They make a great addition to salad too !
We would love to know what you think of our marinated mushroom recipe. Connect with us on Facebook.