This is a surprising sauerkraut salad! Very easy to make and can be hanging out in your fridge for a week to indulge in throughout the week. I call it surprising salad because it has sauerkraut in it and it is surprisingly tasty! I am not a sauerkraut lover but I know the health benefits of sauerkraut so I tried this out and love it!
- 2 cups well-drained sauerkraut
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion ( I prefer a more mellow onion like a vidalia)
- ¼ cup chopped pimento
- ½ cup raw sugar
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- dash of black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sauerkraut, carrots, celery, green pepper, onion and pimento.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper: pour over sauerkraut mixture. Toss to mix. Refrigerate, covered , at least 4 hours before serving to allow flavors to combine. You can do this salad up a week before your event or the time you will serve it.
You may want to consider making your own sauerkraut too!
Some of the health benefits of sauerkraut include its ability to help your digestive health, boost circulation, aid in heart health by reducing bad cholesterol , offer quick energy, boost immune system, strengthen your bones, reduce inflammation, protect against certain cancers and even improve your vision and skin health.